Thursday, July 10, 2008

Radio Interview and Hen Laying Info

Interview with Nashville Public Radio from my parent's house

I had a very nice phone interview with Blake Farmer from Nashville Public Radio this morning. WPLN-FM 90.3 will broadcast the interview on Monday morning, July 14 during their newscast. http://wpln.org/home.php .

I just came from the home of an established Sewanee family who, once again, suggested there be a pro-chicken group outside the Lease Committee meeting next Wednesday at 3:30. The meeting takes place in Regent's Room. I don't know... what do you think?









Answers to more questions - Chicken Facts - laying eggs:

  • Chickens lay eggs for about 3 years - more if they're pets - but they'll slow down as time goes on

  • They usually won't lay until they're at least 6 months old
  • During their most productive years, often they'll lay one egg per day in warm months
  • A rooster is not necessary for a hen to lay an egg

  • An egg can not hatch into a chicken without being fertilized by a rooster
  • Some, but not all, breeds of chickens will go "broody" even without a rooster or eggs to sit on
  • "Broody" means that a hen will "sit" for 21 days - ideally she is hatching eggs, but in the absence of fertilized eggs (or any eggs at all, for that matter) she will sit anyway - it's a hormonal thing
  • A hen will not lay eggs while she is broody
  • Many hens will not lay many eggs in the cold months when there is little daylight
  • Some people install lights on timers to go on in the early morning to encourage egg production during the short days of winter

  • Many hens molt, primarily in the fall, and will not lay eggs while they're molting
  • "Molting" means losing older feathers and growing new ones. Different breeds molt at different rates.
  • Different breeds of chickens produce eggs at different rates. Some will lay an egg a day - some not so much. Some chickens are bred to lay, lay, lay

  • Depending on the breed of chicken, eggs come in many sizes and colors - pretty darn small to awfully big - white, brown, green, blue, teal - and I've even heard - pink!

  • Fresh eggs are good at room temperature for several weeks (they cook better at room temp) and several months in the fridge.

2 comments:

Emily Cole said...

I'm also in the midst of petitioning our town council to change the ordinances. I have also created a web blog for this endeavor. I have linked you in the sidebar... I hope it's OK!

www.wfchickens.blogspot.com

Katherine said...

I checked out your blog EM & found some useful information. Thank you for linking me. I'm going to keep researching and will check back to see how you're doing. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

-Katherine