Monday, July 14, 2008

The Lease Committee Visit

The lease committee was invited to my house today at 5:00 to see the chickens and their setting.

The reason I started this blog was to show people how my chickens and I live, thereby proving that they are not livestock and not prohibited on my lease. Initially I contacted committee members and associates asking for advice and inviting people to see the yard. No one was interested in coming to my house (I live about a block from central campus - not exactly out of the way). My father, who is on my lease, specifically asked the lease superintendent to come see my yard and she agreed.

As time went on: we refused to remove the chickens based on the fact that we believe they are not in violation of our lease, the lease committee was invited to view the blog in hopes of settling the livestock question without all this fuss, we stated our intentions to appear at the lease committee meeting and address the issue, my father sent a formal letter with our objections to the complaint.

We received no response at all.

Next came the specific invitation to all 9 committee members to see the yard and meet the birds in question. One committee member called me right away. Neither my parents nor I heard from anyone else.

Today, that one very nice gentleman came promptly at 5:00.

No word from anyone else.

The meeting is Wednesday - the day after tomorrow.

The lease superintendent was emailed again this evening, requesting that she look at the yard in person tomorrow before the meeting.

So I wonder... have they already made up their minds? Do they not care? How do they treat other complaints?

And still I research... of course I am biased, but it's seeming like more cities and towns allow chickens than ban them. My mother said tonight, "until you, I've never known anyone who kept chickens as pets". Maybe that's the key - they're there, you just don't know it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your committee. People who have never raised chickens do not understand the simplicity and enjoyment you get from raising chickens.

I will be waiting to hear the results. Could it be as you suspect?

Al Bundy said...

yea sewanee's right!

haha, just kidding. good luck with the lease

The Bergman-Wilsons said...

What's for dinner?