Tuesday, July 8, 2008

More July 4th pictures

Sewanee School of Letters' float.Children pet the chicken as I answer questions on the sidewalk in front of my house.
The Cravens Family Reunion LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the chickens
























Sewanee Gardener's market float














The very honorable Judge Walters heartily supports the chickens (Chloe is exhausted and takes a nap).


With the fourth of July behind us, I'm now back to researching chicken ordinances in others cities and towns. I want to make a proposal to the lease committee to create a policy that will benefit both those of us who would like to keep backyard chickens and our neighbors.

I read a great quote today from "The City Chicken Guide" from Just Food of NYC www.justfood.org/jf/ , "It is your right to keep chickens in New York City. It is also your duty to keep chickens within the limits of the laws." I think the quote is an important illustration of how imperative it is for all pet owners to act responsibly.


I am beginning to make contacts across the country with experts in this topic. Odd as it may seem, urban chickens are becoming a mainstream subject. There are many, many cities where raising 3-6 chickens within city limits is perfectly legal and not altogether uncommon. NPR is producing a piece on it and there is a full length documentary by Mad City Chickens coming out.


In the near future I will also post general facts about raising chickens to dispel any fears or misconceptions.


No comments: