Monday, August 25, 2008

The Community Council Meeting

Dad and I at the Community Council meeting. Don't we look intimidating!The Community Council met tonight with a larger group and longer meeting than usual. (Okay well, seven of us were my family). As much as I wanted to have the chickens attend - they love a good social event - I wanted more not to embarrass my father.
After talking about the golf course and cell phone tower, it was time to devote most of the meeting to the chickens. Clearly there were two issues: me and my chickens and our lease - as well as the greater and more important issue of making the entire domain a more chicken friendly place. My father spoke to the former, discussing the fact that our lease does not prohibit chickens and since they're not walking around the front yard pecking people on the sidewalk or creating any other nuisance, there is no grounds to have me remove them.

I spoke about the benefits of raising hens. I explained how a hen raised as a pet will behave as a pet - much like a cat or dog: sit in your lap, eat from your hand, come when called... I talked about noise, smell and mess - pointing out that an animal about 12 inches tall will produce a proportionate amount of waste and mess - less than most dogs, foxes, raccoons... I got a hardy laugh when comparing the immaterial noise factor of chickens to the rather greater amount produced by alumni. I talked about the significant health benefits of home raised eggs and yard benefits of nitrogen filled droppings.

As I talked, pictures of my chickens and yard were passed around. Half way through I noticed warm smiles and heads nodding around the room - and not just from friends and family - the administrators of the University appeared engaged and supportive.

There followed discussion, opinions, anecdotes. Important points were made about this issue being much larger than just our town and our need to revisit the lease laws. Boo Cravens was adamant that MANY lease laws be revisited (she doesn't care WHAT color you paint your front door!). There was talk of local food sources and quality of life and then more stories of when there were horses, ponies, goats and chickens, (not to mention a dry cleaner and a grocery store) in town in the good ole days...

A motion was made to recommend to the Lease Committee that hens be allowed, subject to rules to be defined in accordance with the University Sustainability Committee. The motion was approved unanimously. Next the Lease Committee meets in September and then I expect it will go to the Sustainability Committee which will take all the necessary practicalities into consideration when coming up with specific chicken rules.

It was raining (hooray!) and past the chicken's bedtime when I returned home so I didn't run out to tell them the good news. They weren't worried anyway - they know they belong here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! We'll toast the chickens, their mama, and the forward thinking lease committee over dinner tonight. The kids and I started making plans for chicks in the spring just last night. Love, love.

April Alvarez said...

Your niece Rachel had a lot of questions about meetings, having never attended any grown-up ones before. She wanted especially to know why everyone said "Aye" at one time - I think she suspects they are pirates...

The Bergman-Wilsons said...

"She wanted especially to know why everyone said "Aye" at one time"

No, just egotists. :-)

So, now that we've had all this fun. When is the barbecue? ;-)

Congratulations!

brown beard said...

Congratulations to you, your chickens, and future chicken-folk.

Tashai said...

Go chickens! Congrats on your great meeting. Hope it works out for you and your town.

Jenny said...

Oh, that is good news! I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly now. And who knows what improvements may come as a result of this one thing being reviewed?

GBA said...

You did it Katherine, YEA FOR SEWANEE.