Monday, August 11, 2008

Chickens on Vacation

I am on vacation at the beach in N.C. with a group of smart, interesting women - all but one of whom I did not know before this week. We're doing all the usual - eating, drinking, swimming, walking, cooking.

This morning over coffee, sitting on the porch overlooking the ocean, the topic of chickens came up. One of the women here, who I'd not met until last night, is considering getting a few to keep in her yard in Knoxville. Ironically, she brought with her a cook book I'd never seen called Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes. This is the first cook book I remember seeing that devotes a section to growing your own eggs. It's a beautiful book, full of enticing pictures and delicious sounding recipes.

We made the fish tacos tonight for dinner. They were outstanding - they'd probably even be good if we weren't eating them to the sound of the waves - although the fresh fish cooked on the grill certainly didn't hurt!

I promise, I did not bring up the topic of chickens, I'd never heard of the cookbook, I'm on vacation, the chickens are at home. I do not live and breath chickens.

Nevertheless, here I am ... So I looked up the cook book on the internet and here's a review I found: http://nikas-culinaria.com/2008/06/01/blue-eggs//

"The author, Jeanne Kelley, has decades of experience writing for Bon Appetit, Cooking Light magazine and many of her recipes have been published in LA Times Magazine, Natural Health, Islands and Spa Magazines.

Her professional life and her home life come together in Blue Eggs Yellow Tomatoes as she writes about how she raises some of her own food (chickens, vegetables) at her suburban home in Los Angeles and shares recipes that yield simply delicious concoctions that should satisfy anyone, whether you are growing your own food or if you go to the farmer's market."

Later I'll tell you about MY chicken, Eva, who laid blue eggs...

3 comments:

nika said...

Hey there, Nika here.

Sorry to hear you are having chicken issues!

I definitely recommend this book.

My daughter is a chicken devotee so I will be sharing your blog with her.

Do you know about the hencam.com site yet? She is also a chicken lover.

Katherine said...

No - I hadn't found hencam.com yet. It's great. Thanks!

Emily Cole said...

I'm gonna have to get that book! It looks great! There's a link to the hencam on my site - it's fun to look at sometimes! Thanks for all of you're support with our Chicken issue here in Wake Forest!