Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Beginning of a New Year

My audience... "Now girls, listen up. The Community Council meeting is on Monday and the future of all Sewanee Chickens is at stake."
Here in our little college town, the freshmen are arriving today. All over campus people have been getting ready for the new school year.
Students from the organic garden who were back in town early, came by my workplace and dug compost out of our yard and took many of the hundreds of glass bottles we've kept for potential recycling. They're putting the bottles to use in a landscaping project. Our county doesn't recycle glass so it's a haul to get it done. I'm so happy to see students with innovative, earth friendly ideas taking the initiative. They are full of enthusiasm and energy!
I work with about 30 students. I love them. They come to my house for dinner a couple times a year. They love getting out of the dorm, and coming to a real house with home cooked food. In the spring we eat outside if the weather is nice. They can't BELIEVE I'm having a problem with my chickens.
There is a prep school on your way into town http://www.sasweb.org/home/ . I have friends & neighbors who work there and my children and siblings have attended over the span of many years. St. Andrews has long been in the forefront of "going green" and is growing some of their own produce for the dining hall and hoping to raise chickens.
Doesn't this sound like a town where it shouldn't be a problem to have backyard chickens???

2 comments:

Robley H said...

Good luck tomorrow!

Sherri said...

Thanks for the shout out, Katherine!