Monday, June 30, 2008

Word gets out


As I began talking to friends about my plight, I was truly astonished and very touched at how outraged they were. Because it's so clear that Antoinette, Elisa and Chloe are pets and very dear and important to me, they couldn't understand the reasoning. (The birds also live in a very beautiful garden setting.) I understand - and explained that if you hear someone has chickens, you think muddy, messy, smelly, farmy.

Naturally, in these times, the other issue is that of sustainability. As word spread, more and more people expressed exasperation and the desire to help me. There was talk of joining the 4th of July parade (the theme this year is red, white and green), picketing, silent protests, t shirts, mean things I won't mention, attending the lease committee meeting in mass - it seemed everyone wanted to write a letter.

I called a couple of University people for advice and to see if anyone would come look at my lovely yard to understand how my pets live. I re-asked my closest neighbor if my chickens bothered him. No, he doesn't even hear them.

I put together an email list of people who expressed interest, those I thought would, and neighbors, and sent out a message asking for advice.

A neighbor excitedly flagged me down saying, "I want to see your pets!" He had no idea I had them and expressed no reservations or concern - only appreciation for my gardens.

And still I thought, "How am I going to get rid of these chickens? Maybe I could get rid of Elisa and just keep Chloe and Antoinette..." Each evening in the garden was a melancholy and thought provoking time.

No comments: