Sunday, June 29, 2008

The beginning of it all.....


Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - I received a call from the University Lease Superintendent asking if I had chickens, telling me a neighbor had complained and that I needed to remove them as soon as possible. I responded that I did not know it was against my lease, these are my pets and what I can do? I can appeal at the lease committee meeting on July 15, but must remove the chickens now.

When I checked voice mail, my message said I need to remove the chickens ASAP, "like today would be good."

I was not told who complained or what the complaint was. I was told that only one neighbor complained.

I went home, let the girls out and pondered whether I had the emotional energy to fight this battle. I love these chickens. They bring me great joy and anyone who knows me well will verify this and expound on it. We walked around the yard. I picked a couple of weeds. I just couldn't image not having them there following me, chasing grasshoppers, wiggling their fluffy bottoms and looking up at me sideways. (They have to tilt their heads sideways to look up since their eyes are on either sides of their heads).

I had no idea what to do. It's just as hard to give chickens away as a litter of kittens or puppies. People that have chickens already have them, they don't need more. You can't just put a new chicken in with other chickens - especially mine - they're small and very fancy - not at all like a typical farm chicken.

Then I started researching my lease...

No comments: