Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Delta Sky Magazine" Features Chickens

My father and I celebrate our Chicken Victory I took a quick trip this past weekend. Imagine my surprise when I opened the August addition of the Delta Sky Magazine on the plane. I know, you're imagining... "wow, they still have a magazine and they don't charge you for it?" Yes, it's true AND on page 36 is an article about FANCY CHICKENS! Really, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

They mention Polish Chickens (like my Chloe) and say "a mop of brown, black and white feathers that Rod Stewart in his prime or Tina Turner in her prime would have killed for". Regarding a Silkie (remember my Natasha who was eaten by the hawk? She was a Blue Silkie) they describe a white version as "a veritable puffball of white feathers, his eyes all but hidden by the powder puff of a crown that looks as if it leapt straight off the makeup table of a 1040's Hollywood starlet, his feet enveloped in white like showshoes in the winter".

Yahoo. Entertainment in the sky - and I got free peanut butter crackers and a drink too!

5 comments:

GBA said...

Thank you mika, I took a lot of those photo's.
The PUT-PUT Black Tie back yard party was
so much fun. Thank you for coming Katherine
and why did the chicken cross the road? Love,Mom

Patrick said...

I really hope you check these comments regularly because I need to talk to you. I'm not far away from you, on Signal Mountain, TN, and I'm in a similar fight to yours. Our town currently forbids chickens/ducks and I'm right now a sole voice trying to get this changed. I've been to city council meetings and I've been interviewed so far. I have an open letter that's soon to be published in our town paper. I couldn't find an email address on your site. Please contact me at rphagan3 at gmail.com . many thanks and congrats on the victory.

Michael said...

Congratulations on the victory. My family and I attended my 10th reunion this last weekend on the Mountain. And on Sunday, we picked up two hens from a friend in Bell Buckle to bring home to Atlanta. The "girls" spent much of that morning clucking in the back of our little station wagon (tree-shaded with windows down) while we were in the Chapel, followed by some marveling at the new dining hall. I'm happy to report that city living suits them well - they've settled very well into their new coop and our backyard.

Until I saw your blog today, I had no idea that a few months ago, our chickens would have been contraband!

Petya Kirilova-Grady said...

katherine!!!

you are SO FUNNY and the chickens are gorgeous, of course.

i am telling everyone about the blog and i am sending you a story about the famous bulgarian chicken dance by email!!!

i miss you!
petya

Eric Wilson said...

It's nice to see that Dr. Alvarez has something to keep himself busy in his retirement, although I can't imagine crusading for chickens is much different from teaching Sewanee students!